Search

Saturday, July 4, 2009

ROAD TRIP: A Father and Son Adventure

For those of you who are wondering about this weeks blog title, you will understand better if you continue to read this blog. We have been assigned to create a website for our DIG 315 class and I have decided to use my road trip as my theme. Tomorrow morning, my son and I will be leaving on a 36 hour, 2200 mile round trip from Manheim, PA to Plymouth, MN. "WHY?!", you exclaim . . . it's simple, because I couldn't figure out what to make my website about . . . . just kidding.

See, several months ago, the economy started to take a nose dive which affected many people through out the world. Due to the economy my company has shut down for a weeks furlough from July 3 until July 10. This being said, I figured I would take the opportunity to go out to Plymouth, MN to visit my sister and family who I haven't seen in 5 years. Over the past 5 years, my sister has had 2 additional children and her oldest is now 6. "So why a road trip?", you so intently ask. Flying seemed the simplest means of getting from point A to point B but where's the fun in that? I guess you have to know me better to understand but its time that my son and I will have to create an adventure.


So now that I have your attention, I am sure you are looking for a little more of the details. I could ruin the surprise and spill my guts on this blog or you can visit my website when it is complete. The beauty of this project is that it will evolve over the next week depending on our adventure on the road trip. My website will explain how to turn a road trip into an adventure. There will be 5 web pages of information: the home page, a who's who page, travel facts, the trip itself and our destination (Plymouth, Minnesota). The 'Home' page will have a quick overview of the theme along with a collage of pics of what I call home. The 'Who's Who' page will cover a short description of the main people who are involved in this road trip. 'Travel Facts', will be the planning part of my trip. You will be able to view some of the sites we found interesting on 'The Trip' page. Finally, the last page will be about our 'Destination'. "Sounds boring!" Wow! Don't be so judgemental, I've seen some bad websites out there, I don't think mine will be in the top 10 worst (got to love the confidence or just wishful thinking).

Since I will not be able to join everyone in class Monday night (which I really, really wish the timing was different), I will be using Microsoft Expression Web 2 to complete my project. This is the newest web page software that Microsoft has introduced since Frontpage when discontinued. I have created my storyboard using Microsoft Excel, so the professor will be able to review my progress so far and get a pretty good understanding of my website. The text that I will be using throughout the website is Palatino Linotype with the titles in Papyrus. Each of the internal link buttons will be shaped like the states we will travel through. The external links will include http://www.mapquest.com/, http://www.qualityinn.com/, and http://www.mallofamerica.com/. Photos will be taken by myself or my son along the way and my theme colors will be a green & navy blue (colors are subject to change). More details will be present on my storyboard and my concept paper so if you want to know, just check out my website when it is completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment